Saturday, October 1, 2016

Camino as Model of Life - 2


My first post on this subject dealt with learning as we did as children - step by tiny step, integrating the self-discovery and input from observation as well as input from others.

Today I want to explore with you the simplicity of the process, like the "Bones of the Camino" post, but from a more spiritual angle. And my definition of spiritual may be different than how you now understand it. Please stay with me on this.

I am one American guy (read as privileged) putting one foot in front of the other between 30,000 and 50,000 times each day with everything I have in a backpack.

I am doing this with thousands of other people of like mind. The fact that so many are called to do this walk is an amazing phenomenon. Please understand that this is a very difficult walk. I have given up several times and my Camino 'family' has kept me going. 

It is hot, it is cold, the climb is demanding and the descent challenging. Sleeping in a room with 6 to 60 strangers is unusual.
The other day I was walking with a pilgrim from California and we discussed that only a tiny fraction of the world's population is able to invest 5 or 6 weeks in making an experience such as this.  What a luxury it is to be able to be a part of this community.

Within hours of that discussion we encountered an exhibit about the refugee situation in Europe.  These people often find themselves walking with what few things they were able to preserve from their homes, their kids and their dreams. There are no pilgrim meals, no hot showers, no safe  housing they can expect to be available at the end of the day.

Yet, in at least some cases, these people felt a calling to find a better life away from strife and war. Is this calling any less important to the creator? Do their steps count as mine?

And how many people are refugees of the war in their own lives, the strife of the some lack of privilege? I ask you to be in prayer for those refugees and those who's lives are impacted by them. It is not a new problem, and we see each day some signs of the struggle if we keep our eyes open.

I have less than 100 miles to go on this Camino, Santiago is feeling close and once again my plans change so that our perfectly balanced Camino family can enjoy one more day together.

5 comments:

  1. A photo of what you are now carrying would be instructive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will include a photo of me with my backpack on in the next post. We just arrived in Sarria, a significant city on the Camino, and we are staying in a monastery, Monastery de la Magdalena. It was a difficult but rewarding day, once again. Just like life.
    Going to eat pulpo again, a common food here in Galacia. I am really going to miss the great food and loving companions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant the contents of your pack for the trip. Happy walking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read these posts, and always I am struck by how deeply you are experiencing your days. I hope you are able to hold that awareness with you long after the walk is finished.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

How This Blog Name Came About