Monday, October 17, 2016

Historic Istanbul: Beautiful, Flavorful, Faith Full

Hagia Sophia under moonlight


Istanbul has long been my favorite International city, based on a brief visit some 20 years ago on my way to and from a working trip to Central Asia. It is here that East meets West and this part of the city contains a concentration of historical places that appeal to me.

Now 20 years may be a long time in one's life and my friends from Turkey and who know Turkey all pointed out that "things have changed" since I last walked these streets. I am happy to report that the AND Hotel, where I stayed in 1997 is still here and better than ever. The staff are still low key and friendly, the breakfast on the roof is even better than before, the view of the nearby historic buildings clearer as a neighboring tall building was removed, and the streets are still filled with shops, restaurants and lots of people.

The Blue Mosque

Hagia Sophia
The pictures show two of the most famous destinations in Istanbul as seen from our hotel room terrace: the Hagia Sophia, a 6th century church and the Blue Mosque, built in the 16th century. We spent time yesterday at the mosque, including an hour with an Imam who presents information sessions for visitors. We were fortunate to be the only two people attending this particular session as it began, so the standard 30 minute talk stretched out as we asked questions and discussed our views on issues related to the Abrahamic faith traditions.

We were joined in the middle of the session, just as we were discussing the Hajj, by a Syrian couple, the husband having made this pilgrimage, a very special time in the life of a Muslim believer. The Imam himself had not yet been able to go and was thrilled to get input from this visitor.  Having this conversation made the time even more special for me. 

Tomorrow we plan to visit the Hagia Sophia as it was closed today. This was a place that captured my heart and imagination so many years ago, and I trust that it will do so again for both of us. 

We leave this wonderful place at 6 am on Wednesday and by the end of that day will lay our heads on our own pillows in our own home. It has been almost two wonderful months of discovery for me and two weeks for Ann. 

I have more stories to tell and will add a few more blogs from home. I did unfortunately leave my main cell phone with most of the pictures of my trip in the car taking us to the airport in Paris, but I have spoken to the driver and will be getting it back somehow, but the picture sharing will be delayed for a week or so. 

We are both doing well, trying hard to put on any pounds I lost on the Camino eating wonderful French and Turkish cuisine. I love this place!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

How This Blog Name Came About