Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Finisterre: Kilometer Zero of The Camino

Much to my delight my wife, Ann, arrived late Saturday night and we have been seeing the sights in Santiago de Compostela, a world class tourist destination judging by the hundreds of non-pilgrim people filling the streets and squares.

On Sunday we enjoyed a standing room only pilgrim's Mass followed by a lunch outside the Cathedral with one of my Camino family members, Julie.  
Ann is enjoying her time here, especially all the artistic stone carving in and on the buildings.  We lucked upon a featured exhibit of alabaster religious objects from around the world displayed in a unique area of the cathedral. It included several two and three dimensional items that were painted, something I had not seen before.

Monday we took a bus tour to Muxia (pronounced like moo-chi-a) and Finisterre, the western-most point in Europe, and hence the known world at that time, by the Romans.  For many this is the true end to one's pilgrimage.  While I got there in a bus, I can say that I would have enjoyed walking there had time allowed. I am not a good bus rider.

We are back in town resting before our last supper in Santiago de Compostela. Tomorrow evening we will fly to Paris to see how Notre Dame compares with the similar cathedral in León.

I believe that this time in Spain will remain a highlight of my life, and I feel confident that I will be back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

How This Blog Name Came About