Friday, October 7, 2016

All's Well That Ends...

We strolled into Santiago de Compostela at about 2 pm yesterday and already it seems like a dream. 500 plus miles and incalculable vertical changes delivered us to a most lovely city in what may be the most attractive part of the Way.

Galacia is just inviting. Lush and green, moist air, smells of the forest, and colorful people. Besides, I have a tee shirt that says that Galacia is probably the best place on earth. It is easy to buy the argument.

Upon arrival we checked into our Albergue, the largest by far of the whole walk, Seminario Menor, with over 200 beds. I am staying there an extra night in a private room. I don't know what I'll do being able to turn lights on or off when I please.


Then we walked to the Cathedral where I ran into Francesca, the first person I spent time with on the first day. How exciting that was to see her again.

After some required hugging, tears and expressing our lessons learned to one another, we got in line for our official certificate of completion, the Compostela.


It was a long line, well over an hour, but it was so nice to be there with others that understood themselves better than when they started the Way.

After that we attended a Mass during which we were treated to the swinging Botafumeiro, a huge container of incense swinging over the worshippers, while a magnificent pipe organ played. While I understand little Spanish nor the details of the Catholic Mass, I'll say that the Spirit moved in that place.

This was followed by our ritual of eating great local food. If I had not walked 500 miles I would have gained a lot of weight here.  As it is my pants are falling off.

Today I am pretty much on my own, doing some shopping for warmer clothes, seeing the wonderful buildings, and finding others who shared this experience with me to get them to sign my Galacia shirt.

We all agree that there are no words to generalize this experience to those who have yet to experience it. Again, I plan to share some stories of my Camino family in the next week or two when I get to a keyboard.

T.O.J. today is Christ who's life created this peculiar experience.

8 comments:

  1. Ron, now you have completed another part of the journey. As a true pilgrim, you have become a more sincere (t)(pr)eacher. Now continue, my friend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter, that means a lot to me. I do plan to continue, already looking at the Portuguese route perhaps with my daughter. Had a morning chocolate and churro with a woman from Sweden who finished that one yesterday. She is flying back today and has to go to work Monday. It is her third Camino.

      Delete
  2. Ron, congratulations on your accomplishment. I've been following from your start, but without comment. With each of your posts I imagined a split-screen of your activities and mine, and there was no comparison. Like our Ham Radio hobby, it's best to listen lots, and that's what I did. Safe home to you and Ann.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Rick, just dust off your boots and enjoy it yourself. Thank you for following along with me.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for chronicling your journey--it has been, in a word, inspiring! So glad for you that you got to experience such a profound, faith-filled venture, as well as gain invaluable relationships along the way. Now to enjoy time with your beloved bride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie for following along. Leaving my Camino family was the hardest part, I tried to do it several times. But it is over, I am a tourist now, not a pilgrim, and I do appreciate some of the comfort that provides, like laying on a hotel bed typing this reply.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Featured Post

How This Blog Name Came About