Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Approaching Pamplona




After three challenging days with up and down paths, today is largely level. Not Kansas, mind you, but my heart is not beating so hard.

While I expected to meet interesting people, my cup really has over-flowed. 

24 hours ago I met my new friend Alberto, from Italy.  Several hours later I came into Zubri after a hard and hot day to find Alberto sitting on the ground waiting for a taxi. All the beds in that town were full, and the next town was 5km (3 miles) and I was in no condition to walk that much more.

So we shared the 5 minute can ride and we're taken to a very nice private Alberge, St. Nickolas. We got two beds and proceeded to do the daily routine of shower, wash the clothes, hang to dry while meeting other pilgrims.

Alberto and I agreed to have dinner on town and at about 7pm walked a few blocks to a tavern where we meet friends from Germany and Belgium, Nora and Kurt. We are and solved all the problems of the world for an hour or so, and they left.

Alberto had one more small beer and his Italian new-found friends Luciano and Jaco (spelling may be wrong) arrived and we spent another sprites hour sharing life's joys (including motorcycle stories!) and agreed to meet at 7am to walk together.
I do not have words to describe how fast I have become a part of the lives of people from all over the world. At this point, it is the people, more that the beauty of the walk. that owns my heart.

What more is to come in the next 30 days?
The first picture is Nora, Kurt and Alberto at dinner, next should be the Italian side of the family, and last the place I sit letting my feet rest.

1 comment:

Featured Post

How This Blog Name Came About